during the probation period, the cadet will have no voting privileges and may not respond to any calls. Probationary cadets can attend special events of the department after approval of the advisory board. Probationary cadets can attend regular fire department meetings, but may not attend training.
Requirements needing to be completed to get off probation status:
- Complete at least 3 months of service.
- Attend 100% of all cadet meetings. (Excused absences will be approved.)
- Have a good understanding of the Mattawan Fire Department operations and rules.
- Complete the Cadet Orientation Program.
- Be recommended by the Cadet Advisory Board and approved by the Cadet Advisory Chairman or chief.
- Must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.
Failure to complete the probationary status will result in a one-time extension of probation. After the extension of 3 months, expulsion of non-performance will occur.
- Complete all probation requirements.
- Complete at least 6 months of service.
- Successfully complete selected classes from the Firefighter I Program.
- Must maintain a 2.5 GPA.
- Be recommended by the Cadet Advisory Board and approved by the Cadet Advisory Chairman.
Upon earning Level 1, the cadet will receive a Mattawan Fire Department Cadet T-shirt and a Level 1 helmet sticker. They will be allowed to attend regular business meetings of the Mattawan Fire Department. Cadets will be allowed to ride on fire apparatus on non-emergency events. Cadets will not be allowed to respond for any emergency calls at any time.
- Complete all Level I requirements.
- Complete basic first aid class given by the Mattawan Quick Response Team or the Mattawan Fire Department.
- Complete Firefighter I in-house classes.
Cadet Level II will be able to ride on fire apparatus, responding to non-emergency, to calls with the approval of the Mattawan Fire Department Command Officers. With the completion of Level II or if the cadet has reached the age of 18; he/she will be recommended by the Cadet Advisory Bard (with approval of the Cadet Advisory Chairman) for the review by command officers for membership oif the cadet so desires. Upon earning Level II status, the cadet will receive a Mattawan Fire Department Cadet shirt.
Cadets will be able to graduate from the cadet program with a minimum of 1 year of service or to date in which the cadet reaches the age of 18. Graduates will then be encouraged to apply for volunteer firefighter status within the Mattawan Fire Department if all requirements are met.